ALEKSANDRA KOSTIC, MSc. Arch., Ph.D. student, University of Nis, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture in Nis, Serbia
ALEKSANDAR KEKOVIC, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Nis, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture in Nis, Serbia
DANICA STANKOVIC, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Nis, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture in Nis, Serbia
BRANKO TURNSEK, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Nis, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture in Nis, Serbia
MILAN TANIC, Ph.D., Associate Professor, University of Nis, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture in Nis, Serbia
Abstract: In order to enhance preservation practice of industrial heritage buildings, this paper at-tempts to investigate and to present applicable patterns of conversion of old factory buildings. Main focus is put on the conversion of the former textile industry complex „Kosta Stamenkovic“, situated in the city of Leskovac, in Serbia. With the intention to return the former architectural glory and to activate new function, it has been necessary to implement set of urbarchitectural intervention in accordance with the current legislation in the field of protection of cultural heritage. The general intention of this paper is to explore the opportunities and importance of adaptive reuse of industrial heritage in order to enable the sustainability of the urban centres culture, history and economy, and to form the reputable patterns.
Key words: industrial heritage, adaptive reuse, conversion, pattern, function.
- Ćopić, S. & Tumarić, A. (2015). Possibilities of industrial heritage reuse as tourist attractions: A case study of city of Zrenjanin (Vojvodina, Serbia). Geographica Pannonica, Vol. 19, № 2, pp. 44-49.
- S. EPA. 2003a. Brownfields Definition. U.S. EPA Brownfields Homepage. URL: http://epa.gov/brownfields/index.html.
- Kostic, A., Kostic, D., Stankovic, D. & Gligorijevic, M. (2017). Structural improvement of masonry heritage buildings – the case of the textile industry „Kosta Stamenkovic“ in Serbia. International Scientific Conference “Preservation of Cultural Heritage”, BASA’2017, Bulgarian Academy of Science and Arts, Scientific Institute for Architecture, Construction and Urban Planning, Sofia, Bulgaria, 23-24th November, 2017, pp. 253-260, URL: https://df9950.wixsite.com/basa-17 (Accessed 20 January 2018).
- Falser, M. (2001). Is Industrial Heritage Underrepresented on the World Heritage List? UNESCO World Heritage Centre Asia-Pacific Region, URL: http://whc.unesco.org/archive/ind-study01.pdf (Accessed 25 January 2018).
- Sugden, E. (2017). The Adaptive Reuse of Industrial Heritage Buildings: A Multiple-Case Studies Approach. The University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.
- Conejos, S., Langston, C. & Smith, J. (2011). Improving the implementation of adaptive reuse strategies for historic buildings. Le Vie dei Mercanti S.A.V.E. HERITAGE: Safeguard of Architectural, Visual, Environmental Heritage. Naples, Italy, Jun 2011.
- Đokić, I. & Sumpor, M. (2010). Brownfield Redevelopment Issues in Croatia. Privredna kretanja i ekonomska politika (Zagreb), Vol. 20, № 123, (August), 2010, pp. 57-87.
- Huzuia, E., Miread, A. & Stoiculescur, C. (2011). The perception upon landscape revitalization of industrial spaces. Case study: The industrial units Belvedere Cigarette Factory and S.C. Mefin Sinaia. Rom. Rev. Reg. Stud., Vol. 7, № 2, pp. 67-78.
- Harrison, S., Clark, J., Mackay, K., Martin, J. & Snape, D. (2014). Adaptive Re-use Re-using existing buildings for new functions has many sustainable, cultural, economic and place-making advantages, ODASA (The Office for Design and Architecture SA). Design Guidance Note, Government of South Australia.
- General Urban Plan of the City of Leskovac. Official Gazette of Leskovac, №4/13.
- Šimunec, Z., Ninošević, M. & Trajković, V. (2015). Zlatno doba grada Leskovca (The goldern era of Leskovac) 1918-1941. Narodni Muzej Leskovac.
- General regulation Plan 3 “Center North”. Official Gazette of Leskovac, №07/14.
- Rancic, M., Kostic, A. & Turnsek, A.J. (2017). The Revitalization and Conversion of a Textile Industry Complex “Kosta Stamenkovic” In Leskovac. 26 International Urban Planning Exhibition, Nis, November 2017, category 9, Ambient and architectural heritage protection (2 prize), p.p.9.3.