DARIA KLOSOVA, Ing., Ph.D. student, Department of Technology, Economy and Management in Civil Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Technical university of Kosice, Slovak Republic
MARIA KOZLOVSKA, Professor, Ing. Ph.D., Head of the Department of Technology, Economy and Management in Civil Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Technical university of Kosice, Slovak Republic
Abstract: The topic of the research work is the analysis of the application of lean thinking for the development of process innovation in construction. The main aim of this study is to provide an overview of the scientific literature on lean construction. The article presents an analysis of drivers and barriers affecting the implementation of lean principles in the construction industry, as well as an overview of lean manufacturing technologies. The article provides examples of the application of lean technologies in the construction sector of different countries.
Key words: lean thinking, lean construction, process innovation, construction waste, lean manufacturing technology.
- De Carvalho, A.C.V., Granja, A.D. & Da Silva, V.G. (2017). A systematic literature review on integrative lean and sustainability synergies over a building’s lifecycle. Sustainability, Brazil.
- OECD / European Union Oslo Manual. (2018). Guidelines for Collecting, Reporting and Using Data on Innovation the Measurement of Scientific, Technological and Innovation Activities, Vol. 4, Luxembourg, p. 258.
- Maradzano, I., Dondofema, R.A. & Matope, S. (2019). Application of lean principles in the South African construction industry. South African Journal of Industrial Engineering, Vol. 30 (3) Special Edition, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, pp. 210-223.
- Byrnes, H. & Frohlich, Th. (2019). These Are the World’s Biggest Producers of Waste. Special Report, United States.
- Bayhan, H.G. (2019). Enablers and Barriers of Lean Implementation in Construction Projects. IOP Conf. Ser.: Mater. Sci. Eng., Vol. 471, No. 022002, Sakarya, Turkey.
- Hossain, A., Bissenova, A. & Kim, J.R. (2019). Investigation of Wasteful Activities Using Lean Methodology: In Perspective of Kazakhstan’s Construction Industry. Buildings, Vol. 9, No. 113, Kazakhstan.
- Boateng, A. (2019). Supply chain management and lean concept in construction: a case of Ghanaian building construction industry. Organization, Technology and Management in Construction, Vol. 11, Ghana, pp. 2034-2043.
- Memon, Af., Akhund, M., Laghari, A. et al. (2018). Adoptability of Lean Construction Techniques in Pakistan’s Construction Industry. Civil Engineering Journal, Vol. 4, No. 10, Pakistan.
- Sarhan, J., Xia, B., Fawzia, S. et al. (2017). Lean Construction Implementation in the Saudi Arabian Construction Industry. Construction Economics and Building, 17, No. 1, Saudi Arabian.
- Liker, J.K. & Convis, G.L. (2012). The Toyota Way to Lean Leadership. McGraw-Hill Companies, United States, ISBN 978-0-07-178078-0.
- Koskela, L. (1992). Application of the new production philosophy to construction. Technical report No. 72, Centre for Integrated Facility Engineering, Stanford University.