BOJAN STANKOVIĆ, Ph.D. student, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture in Nis, University of Nis, Serbia
ANA MOMCILOVIĆ PETRONIJEVIĆ, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Faculty of Civil Engineering and Architecture in Nis, University of Nis, Serbia
Abstract: In this paper, the most valuable examples of buildings in Belgrade from the period of socialist construction are analyzed and their importance for the spirit of the city and the architecture of Serbia today is discussed. In the former Yugoslavia, the architecture of internationally recognized qualities created by prominent domestic authors in the spirit of modernist ideas is formed. In that period, in Belgrade as capital city, some of the most important public buildings that still represent the masterpieces of the Yugoslav architectural heritage are built, and they are embedded in the history of the city and its cultural identity.
Key words: architecture, modernism, buildings, socialist architectural heritage, identity.
- Penic, M., Murgul, V. & Vatin, M. (2015). Revitalization as the Principle of Architectural Heritage Protection – Case Study of Serbia and Russia. Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 725-726, pp. 1072-1078.
- Meraz Avila Fidel Alejandro (2009). Architecture and temporality in conservation philosophy: Cesare Brandi. PhD thesis, University of Nottingham.
- Ćurčić, A., Momčilović Petronijević, A., Topličić Ćurčić, G. & Keković, A. (2019). Relation to the traditional architecture – case study of Serbia and its environment. Proceedings of international scientific conference “Preservation of cultural heritage”, BASA’, 21-23 November 2019, pp. 177-185.
- URL: https://www.igi-global.com/dictionary/architectural-heritage/48665.
- Stanković, D., Tanić, M., Nikolić, M., Vasov, M., Turnšek, B., Cvetanović, A. & Rančić, A. (2020). Globalisation influences and current forms of construction in Belgrade (Serbia). Technical Gazette, Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 1662-1669.
- Blagojević, LJ. (2007). Novi Beograd: osporeni modernizam. Zavod za udžbenike i nastavna sredstva: Beograd.
- Vukotić Lazar, M. (2002). Beogradsko razdoblje arhitekte Nikole Dobrovića, 1945-1967. Plato: Beograd.
- Mišić, B. Палата Савезног извршног већа у Новом Београду. Spomeničko nasleđe, pp. 129-150.
- Popadić, M. Архитектура Музеја савремене уметности у Београду. Spomeničko nasleđe, pp. 159-178.
- Arandjelovic, B., Vukmirovic, M. & Samardzic, N. (2017). Belgrade: Imaging the future and creating a European metropolis. Cities, 63, pp. 1-19.
- Le Normand, B. (2009). Urban development in Belgrade 1945-1972. Informationen zur modernen Stadtgeschichte, 1, pp. 60-69.
- Sgoutas, V. (2006). Proceedings of “Balkan capitals from the 19th to the 21st century urban planning and the modern architectural heritage”. Athens, 12.12.2005. Academy of Athens, Bureau of Architectural Research, Athens.
- Milić, M. (1998). “Čuvari baštine”, Republički zavod za zaštitu spomenika kulture-Beograd. Belgrade, pp. 26, 112.